This project focused on façade repair to this late 19th century building which has experienced heavy water infiltration over many years. Original materials such as terra cotta and limestone have aged and weakened comprising the façade. Repairs included brick, terra cotta and limestone repointing, stitch repair of the brick work and reglazing of terra cotta while that which was broken and cracked was repaired and stabilized.
An example of early 20th century bank architecture, this branch was suffering elemental damage due to window systems deterioration. JRS’s solution called for all new steel windows, custom designed to match originals in style, color, and size as well as restoration of interior finishes. In addition to the cosmetic upgrade and weather protection, overall energy efficiency has been markedly improved.
Built in 1932, this twelve story building falls under Local Law 11. An inspection of the façade occurred which included installing scaffolding to closely examine problem areas. The previous report was used to identify what had been done and what reoccurring issues existed. A detailed review of the façade was completed and subsequently, an updated report prepared along with documentation for the necessary repairs which JRS oversaw.
This late 19th century building had a covered 30 foot high by 28 foot diameter ornate plaster ceiling dome which deteriorated due to water leaks and time. Restoration of the dome occurred along with renovation of the banking center to improve customer flow, add barrier free access, upgrade the power and data infrastructure and improve the workflow for the employees.
Originally built as an aviary in the mid-1800s, this picturesque structure has also served as a boathouse and summer house. The JRS team was retained by the town to refurbish the entire cottage, convert the second story to a caretakers living quarters, and design the first floor as a public place to serve as an educational use and exhibit space. It has been listed on the National Register of Historic places since 2007.
This late 19th century home totaled approximately 10,000 SF. However in the 20th century, almost half of the structure was removed and a small new wing added. The forensic investigation uncovered that this new wing was actually over the oldest part of the home. Features uncovered were essential in developing a restoration program that represented the home’s primary period and style. A portion of the removed wing was rebuilt and the existing structure was upgraded and restored.
A marriage of modern living with period design, our restoration of this circa 1860 brick farm house incorporates a new historically compatible addition four times the size of the original structure to fit today's lifestyle. Doors, windows, hardware, as well as a cooking fireplace have been faithfully restored. Brick, planking, and other materials from the old house were readapted where possible as additional unifying elements.
Built in 1880, the carriage house was expanded in 1908. The initial project involved replacing the roof with the same material, Vermont slate, and addressing the needed framing, wood surfaces and interior masonry repairs. The second stage includes restoration of several windows. All contract documents and specifications were done in accordance with guidelines of the NJ Historic Trust, NJSPO and local regulatory authorities.
Complete preservation services were provided for this historic municipal building including structural diagnostics, cost analysis, and development of plans. Solutions included exterior restoration of roof, facades, cornices, and windows with retrofitting of energy and drainage systems.
Recognized as one of the area’s finest Greek Revival dwellings, our work here calls for restoration of historic tin roof and Yankee gutter; rebuilding chimneys utilizing custom matched mortar; replacement of window wells and storm doors with historic replicates; and re-hanging of original front and rear doors. Interior services include cleaning of plaster surfaces, wallpaper replacement with period patterns and repair of original historic wide plank flooring.